Transgender Student Resources

The Office of Intercultural Engagement seeks to create an affirming and safe environment for transgender students on and off campus. We recognize all students under the transgender umbrella, including but not limited to: genderqueer, gender fluid, agender, trans man, trans woman, two-spirit, intergender, and non-binary. This list of resources serves transgender students who are questioning their identity, transitioning, or looking for support. If there is any information you feel is missing from this page, please contact us so we can update our information.


Campus resources

Campus Email

You can change the name that appears when you send email from your UNC Greensboro Account to reflect your chosen name. Use the instructions below, provided by Google Support.

Housing and Residence Life

  • When applying for on-campus housing, contact Guy Sanders to inquire about housing options for transgender students ( or 336-334-5636)


  • Preferred First Name Policy
    • A student can declare a preferred first name by written request to the University Registrar’s Office.  The preferred first name will be reflected in the learning management system.  The preferred first name does not change the legal name and will not on the documents released by the university (i.e., official transcript, diploma). Contact the Registrar’s Office at 336-334-5946 with questions or comments.
    • The form can be found online via the Registrar’s website, and can be submitted via email with a copy of a government-issued photo ID to

Spartan Card

  • Students can email Spartan Card Manager Brian Wilson ( to schedule an appointment.

Office of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

Dean of Students Office

  • If you would like to file a complaint about discrimination or sexual harassment, complaints about student health services, or any other grievance, the Dean of Students office can assist you in this process.
  • Dean of Students Grievance Forms

The Counseling Center

  • The Counseling Center offers counseling services for all students, including specialized support for LBGTQ+ students. Students can schedule an appointment by calling (336) 334-5874.
  • The Counseling Center also offers group counseling through their LGBTQQI Support Group.
  • Counseling Center Staff can also assist students in referring them to community services.
  • At this point, Student Health Services does not provide services related to transition or hormone replacement therapy. However, if a student has been prescribed hormones and needs someone to administer the injection, please contact the immunization department to discuss need as we may be able to help.
  • Contact the Immunizations Clinic at: 336-334-3529

Speech and Hearing Center

  • Located on the 3rd floor of the Ferguson building
  •  For more information, call: 336-334-5939

Office of Intercultural Engagement

Community, State, and National Resources 

Planned Parenthood

  • Certain sites across North Carolina provide services for transgender individuals.
  • Contact the Raleigh Health Center for up-to-date information on site services, at (919) 833-7526


  • A list of resources for trans people in crisis as well as a comprehensive list of transgender organizations can be found here.

Human Rights Campaign

  • Information relating to trans discrimination and benefits in the workplace, as well as other resources provided by the HRC can be found here.

Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER)

  • TSER provides resources related to support in schools and higher education. This list can be found here.

National Center for Transgender Equality

  • This site provides information about identification records and legal gender and name changes in North Carolina

Equality NC

  • A list of LGBT organizations and resources in North Carolina can be found here.

Prismatic Speech Services

Kevin Dorman (they/them) is a non-binary speech-language pathologist and the owner of Prismatic Speech Services. They specialize in transgender vocal training for individuals who feel dysphoric due to their vocal quality, or those who simply want to explore an alternative mode of communicating with others.Private pay only. Free Consultations available!

3407 W Wendover Ave, Suite I,
Greensboro, NC 27407
Phone: (336) 609-6258

For more providers outside of Greensboro, visit: