Welcome to UNCG’s Safe Zone, a campus group of student, faculty, and staff allies that support gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, intersex, and asexual individuals.
Update: UNCG has now received a score of 4.5 from Campus Pride! The Honor Roll recognizes the achievements of colleges and universities who score a LGBTQ-Friendly star rating of 3 stars of above. This score puts us on the honor roll! Read more about this accomplishment at http://ure.uncg.edu/prod/news/releases/uncg-ranks-high-on-campus-pride-index/.
SafeZone creates a network of allies who promote a campus environment that is open and welcoming to all LGBTQ students.
The purpose of SafeZone training is:
- Provide space for open, honest discussion of LGBTQ topics, ideas, and issues
- Encourage and stimulate creative thinking on complex topics in the UNCG community
- Explore topics of interest related to LGBTQ students at UNCG
- Encourage active allyship
The goals of SafeZone training are:
- Promote an environment where each member of the UNCG community is welcomed and valued.
- Promote understanding, acceptance, and appreciation of our LGBTQ students.
- Promote a culture of inclusion at UNCG through a network of SafeZone trained students, faculty, and staff who support our LGBTQ students; understand the unique challenges faced by the LGBTQ community; are aware of campus resources; and work to challenge discriminations, homophobia, heterosexism, and ignorance.
Our Learning Objectives
Upon completion of SafeZone training, participants should:
- Identify and respond to behavior and language that is offensive and exclusionary to LGBTQ students.
- Increase overall awareness/understanding of LGBTQ issues at UNCG.
- Promote a greater sense of safety for the LGBTQ community at UNCG.
- Act as a campus resource for SafeZone information at UNCG.
LGBTQ+ Special Topics Workshop Request
The Office of Intercultural Engagement is happy to facilitate an individualized workshop around topics of gender, sexuality, and inclusion for your group upon request. This could serve as a follow-up to Safe Zone training, or be unrelated to the Safe Zone program! To best accommodate your needs and goals for the workshop, please provide two weeks in advance of your desired workshop date. This request form can be filled out here.